What to look for when searching for the best Philadelphia sober living home In building a foundation for your long-term recovery
What to look for when searching for the best Philadelphia sober living home
In building a foundation for your long-term recovery and getting your life back on the right track after being actively involved with addiction, sober loving homes play a very significant role. A quality sober living home is meant to assist the recovering addict by providing safety and structure to help the recovery and rehabilitation process.
In the process of rediscovering normal daily routines devoid of addiction, sober living is more effective in helping to learn and maintain a “new” sober lifestyle, than returning to old environments after treatment. An entire new lifestyle has to be learned and maintained in order to achieve sobriety. Below are some of the things you should look out for in making your choice of sober living home:
1. A “pure” environment: One of the most important things to consider when looking for sober living is to ensure you keep the recovering person is in an environment with like-minded people. A “pure” environment in this sense would mean that the environment is both drug and alcohol-free. “Out of sight” here is the first step to “out of mind.”
2. House rules: Most Philadelphia sober living homes have house rules, but there are no checks put in place for strict compliance. When choosing a sober living home, however, you want to be sure it’s one where the residents are required to comply with such house rules as attending house meetings, participating in house chores, paying rent and other fees, and maintaining abstinence. While all these may not look too important from afar, they all work together to help a recovering addict integrate back into society when they leave the sober living home.
3. A resident council: A sober living home shouldn’t be made to look more like a prison where, in most cases, the inmates have no say. It should instead allow residents have a say in critical house matters. This will give the residents some sense of responsibility and give incentive to progress.
4. Life skill building: Looking for a home that organizes life skill building activities and programs within the sober living home is very important. These may include resume building, social media management skills, workshops, teaching how to keep a budget, and many more.
5. No fixed duration of stay: Some Philadelphia sober living homes would require you a minimum amount of time you must stay, as well as the maximum amount of time you’re allowed to stay with them. Be sure that whichever sober living home you are looking into does not specify a minimum or maximum amount of time residents can stay there. Everyone progresses at a different rate and there should be no preset time of stay. This will help in eliminating the pressures of being independent or alone in the community.
Some other important things to look out for include gender preferences, cost, and location. By taking all these into consideration when choosing a Philadelphia sober living home (or any sober living home at all), you’ll be on your way to making the best choice for your recovery.
For more information about Philadelphia Recovery Residences Call 215-792-3299